Are you passionate about using data to drive real-world impact?
Do you have the skills and expertise to make a difference in the world of product safety and regulation?
If so, we invite you to consider an exciting opportunity to become a part of the Analysis Team at the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS), a crucial department within the Department for Business and Trade.
At OPSS, our mission is clear: we are dedicated to ensuring the safety of products and protecting both consumers and businesses. As part of the Department for Business and Trade, our role is to make regulation effective and impactful. Well-crafted and well-implemented regulation can foster growth, innovation, and efficiency while keeping people and places safe from product-related harm.
The Role: Data Scientist
As a Data Scientist at OPSS, you will play a pivotal role in advancing our analytical capabilities and leveraging data to uncover insights into product safety. Collaborating closely with our Senior Data Scientist and other team members, you will be responsible for delivering data science solutions across a range of topics, including product safety, compliance, and enforcement. Your work will help OPSS become a data-led organisation, enabling us to harness new data sources and techniques while promoting the use of robust pipelines to deliver reproducible outputs.
Key responsibilities range from collaborating with senior team members on high-profile analytical projects to developing both your own and wider coding and data science capability across the department through training and community events.
Why you should apply
Embarking on a career as a Data Scientist at the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) within the Department for Business and Trade offers a unique opportunity to make a tangible impact on consumer safety, business growth, and the regulatory landscape.
Here's why you should consider joining our dynamic team:
- Meaningful Impact: At OPSS, your work directly contributes to the safety of products consumed by millions of people across the UK. By harnessing the power of data science, you will play a pivotal role in shaping regulations, influencing behaviour, and fostering positive action in the market. Your efforts will help ensure that both consumers and businesses can buy and sell products with confidence.
- Innovation and Growth: As a rapidly growing organisation, OPSS values fresh ideas and innovative approaches. Join us during this exciting period of expansion and seize the opportunity to be at the forefront of crafting new insights into product safety. Collaborate with a creative team of analysts and contribute to shaping the future of regulation and safety standards.
- Development and Learning: We are committed to your growth and development. By joining our team, you'll have access to learning and development opportunities that will enhance your skills in data science, coding, and analytical techniques. You'll be encouraged to explore new data sources, embrace emerging technologies, and champion the use of robust pipelines to drive reproducible outcomes.
- Inclusive and Diverse Culture: At OPSS, diversity is our strength. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive environment that values individuals from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Hybrid Working: Enjoy the benefits of a flexible working arrangement that aligns with your lifestyle. With the option for hybrid working, you can strike a balance between remote and office-based work
- Collaborative Environment: As a Data Scientist at OPSS, you won't be working in isolation. Collaborate with senior team members, contribute to high-profile projects, and be part of a community that thrives on shared knowledge and expertise.
Location and Working Arrangements
This role is available in both Birmingham and London. Flexible working arrangements are available, and we embrace a hybrid working model that allows for a balance between remote and office-based work.
How to Apply
If you are excited about the prospect of contributing to product safety and making a meaningful impact, we encourage you to apply for this role. To do so, please click on the link to apply on Civil Service Jobs.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workforce, and we welcome applications from all backgrounds. If you require reasonable accommodations during the application or interview process, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Alongside your starting salary of £38,052, the Department for Business and Trade contributes £10,274 towards you being a member of the Civil Service Defined Benefit Pension scheme.
- Application deadline: 11:55 pm on Sunday, 20th August 2023
- Sift: Week commencing 28th August 2023
- Interviews: Week commencing 18th September 2023
Don't miss your chance to become our next Specialist Data Scientist. Embrace the challenges, drive innovation, and elevate your career within the Civil Service.
Apply now and join us in shaping the future of data science!